Pay your staff accurately without the headaches
Deputy's inbuilt Workplace Award Interpretation means that you can be confident that everyone is paid accurately and that you're Fairwork Australia compliant.Try Deputy for free
We’re here to help
Why Deputy’s Award Interpretation?
Our Award Interpretation is built to meet your needs.
Accurate Schedule Costing
Never go over budget! Accurately cost your schedule with real-time cost calculations while you schedule your staff.
Stressed about paying your staff right every time? Deputy will do all the heavy lifting for your penalty and overtime rates.
Compliant with Fair Work
No matter what industry you’re in, we’ve got you covered. Deputy keeps you up-to-date with Australia’s Fair Work Policy.
Terms and their meaning
What is ‘Award Interpretation’?
When setting up a new business, there’s a lot to be aware of. It is crucial things to ensure you pay your staff correctly. The Fair Work Australia website lists the 122 awards which cover pay and conditions for workers in Australia, and any one business can be subject to more than one award depending on the different jobs their employees do.
Award Interpretation is the process of calculating the minimum legal amount of pay for hours worked, during a specific period of time, based on the relevant legal agreement (this legal agreement is usually called an 'Award'). The calculation process involves assessment of base hourly pay rates, overtime pay rates, penalty pay rates and allowances.
Awards cover full-time, part-time and casual workers across all industries, in Australia. Awards may be superseded for workers in particular businesses by Enterprise Bargaining Agreements (EBAs), however, the interpretation and application of EBAs can also be referred to as 'Award Interpretation'. Other generic terms for the process include 'custom pay conditions' or 'custom pay rules'.
Which award applies to you?Fair Work website
Base pay refers to the minimum amount of compensation earned by employees for their services within the ordinary hours of work. Base pay is used to compute overtime and other penalty rates
Overtime and penalties, which are paid at higher rates, refer to the additional amount of pay for work performed outside the ordinary hours of work. For example, this covers work performed on Sundays, Public holidays or late night shifts
Allowances are paid to compensate workers for expenses that they incur while on the job or for working in unfavourable conditions. Common allowances include meal allowance, travel allowance, uniform/clothing allowance and accommodation allowance. Find which allowances apply to your business from Fair Work
Build the ultimate roster today
Which Award are you?
- Aged Care Award MA000018
- Airport Employees Award MA000049
- Alpine Resorts Award MA000092
- Amusement, Events & Recreation MA000080
- Animal Care & Vet Services MA000118
- Australian Government Industry MA000153
- Building and Construction MA000020
- Car Parking Award MA000095
- Children's Services MA000120
- Cleaning MA000022
- Clerks MA000002
- Commercial Sales MA000083
- Contract Call Centres MA000023
- Dry Cleaning and Laundry Industry MA000096
- Education Services (Teachers) MA000077
- Education Services (Post-Secondary Education) MA000075
- Electronic and Communications MA000025
- Fast Food MA000003
- Fitness Industry MA000094
- Food, Beverage & Tobacco MA000073
- Gardening and Landscaping MA000101
- Hair and Beauty MA000005
- Health Professionals MA000027
- Horse & Greyhound Training MA000008
- Horticulture MA000028
- Hospitality MA000009
- Live Performance MA000081
- Manufacturing and Associated Industries MA000010
- Meat Industry MA000059
- Miscellaneous MA000104
- Nursery MA000033
- Nurses MA000034
- Passenger Vehicle Transportation MA000063
- Pharmacy MA000012
- Port Authorities MA000051
- Poultry Processing (PPA) MA000074
- Professional Employees MA000065
- Racing Club Events MA000013
- Rail MA000015
- Registered & Licensed Clubs MA000058
- Restaurant MA000119
- Retail MA000004
- Road Transport & Distribution MA000038
- Security MA000016
- Sporting Organisations MA000082
- Social, Community, & Disability Services MA000100
- Storage Services & Wholesale MA000084
- Supported Employment Services MA000103
- Telecommunications MA000041
- Travelling Shows MA000102
- Waste Management Award MA000043
- Wine Industry MA000090
Are we missing your Award?
Fill in a quick form and we will be in touch.Request award